Friday, December 7, 2007

Valhalla employee a surrogate Mom for many students

Stockton reaches out to befriend students

Susan Stockton, an assistant retail manager in Valhalla, acts as a second Mom to many students on the Berry College campus. A mother of three children, Stockton said she is ready and willing to listen to students.

“If I see a student who needs someone to talk to, I’ll stop what I’m doing when I can and make sure they’re okay,” said Stockton. “What’s said stays with me.”

Stockton moved to Georgia from Baldwin County, Ala. in 1987 to have better job opportunities after her first husband of 22 years left the Navy. She worked at First Presbyterian Church in Rome for six years before taking a job with the dining services at Berry in 2004.

Sue Johnson, Stockton’s former manager, said, “She was very anxious and excited to learn.”

As well as learning about her job on Berry’s campus, Stockton studied at Coosa Valley Technical College, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Business and Management. Stockton said she stopped taking night classes one year ago after realizing she needed to spend more time with her family.

“My thing is mostly family,” Stockton said. “My hobby is knowing that people in my life are happy.”

Students her "children"
Stockton said she considers all the students at Berry her children. “Some students come into Valhalla wanting to talk or vent or maybe just want a hug,” said Stockton.

One student who Stockton calls her second son is junior Jody Jenkins.

“She is the person that I know I can come talk to whenever I have a problem, and she will tell me if I’m being smart or not,” Jenkins said. “It means the world to me that she sees me in that light [as a son].”

Although Jenkins said he’s never seen Stockton outside of Valhalla, he has invited her to basketball games to see him play. Jenkins isn’t the only student who has invited Stockton to their events.

“I’ve had students invite me to their weddings, and I’ve been to a few flag football games,” said Stockton.

Stockton said she has a large picture frame in her house of all her students from the past and present. She has pictures of most of the students she sees as her children.

Appreciated at work
Fred Gann, retail manager of dining services, said Stockton is very kind and thoughtful. He said Stockton surprised him with her caring nature.

“She would always ask everyone if they were okay, and if they were okay, she was okay. She is very heartfelt and deserves kudos for everything she does,” said Gann.

For all her hard work in 2005-2006, Stockton was voted Outstanding Staff Member of the Year in dining services by the Government Association and received an award and plaque.

“I think that she is the most influential person that I have met at Berry College,” said Jenkins. “Honestly, I think she does not get the appreciation she deserves.

So, if you are feeling homesick for mom or just need a person to listen to what you have to say, try talking to Stockton. She’s not just the lunch lady everyone sees in Valhalla.

“I love my job and the kids are great,” Stockton said. “I’m here for the students.”

{c.a.}

No comments: