Monday, December 10, 2007

'Miss Susan': Valhalla Worker, Counselor, Friend and Mom

Students Find Second Mom in Valhalla's 'Miss Susan'

One Valhalla worker not only swipes a student’s ID card, but also listens to students vent about exams, friends and life.

“If I see a student who needs someone to talk to,” Susan Stockton said, “I’ll stop what I’m doing when I can and make sure they’re OK.”

The production supervisor of dining services assures students that “what’s said stays with [her].”

Miss Susan, as Stockton is known to Berry students, moved to Georgia from Baldwin County, Alabama in 1987 with her first husband. He had recently left the Navy, and the couple was looking for better job opportunities. Those opportunities led her to Berry's dining services in 2004.

“When I saw the ad, I said, ‘Wow! That’s a college! Maybe I could work there,’” Miss Susan said.

Juggling life's challenges
At the same time that she began working at Berry, Miss Susan was also studying at Coosa Valley Technical College pursuing a bachelor’s degree in business and management. But she said she stopped taking night classes last year after realizing she needed to spend more time with her family.

“My thing is mostly family,” said Miss Susan, a mother of three. “My hobby is knowing that people in my life are happy.”

That includes Berry students, who Miss Susan considers her children. One student Miss Susan calls her second son is junior Jody Jenkins.

“It means the world to me that she sees me in that light [as a son],” Jenkins said. “She is the person that I know I can come talk to whenever I have a problem and she will tell me if I’m being smart or not.”

Miss Susan’s caring attitude is making an impact outside of Valhalla, as well. Jenkins said, he has invited her to basketball games when he played. He isn’t alone, either.

“I’ve had students invite me to their weddings, and I’ve been to a few flag football games,” Miss Susan said.

High honor for Stockton
For all her hard work in the 2005-2006 school year, Miss Susan was voted Staff Member of the Year by the Student Government Association, which presented her with the award and a plaque.

But Miss Susan said her award wasn’t put up for display in Valhalla. And some students believe that she still doesn’t receive enough recognition.

“She does so much for Valhalla,” said Rain Hopper, a sophomore Valhalla worker. “She should be recognized.”

Miss Susan said she would love to see her award displayed, but she said she wouldn’t make a big deal out of it.

“I love my job and the kids are great,” Miss Susan said. “I’m here for the students.”

So, if you are feeling homesick for Mom or just need a person to listen, try talking to Miss Susan, second mom waiting in Valhalla.

“If you ever want to talk,” Miss Susan tells Berry students, “I’m here.”

{C. A. C.}

No comments: